Tel: 01992 469540


Homecare Funding in Hertfordshire

There are two main ways to pay for care in your home:

  • Directly with Adico Care
  • Social Services

Direct Payments

Direct payments are payments awarded to you so you can purchase care services once you have been assessed as needing care and the type of care you need. The payment should be enough to enable you to purchase services to meet your care needs, and must be spent only on those care services.

Most people are eligible for Direct Payments as long as they can manage their own money.

Direct Payments put you in control of your own care. You do not have to use the service recommended by your local council, you can chose any approved care provider and top up the funds allocated to you to purchase additional care services.

Local Authority Funded Care Services

If you require care and support the best place to start is by contacting your local authority.

Your local authority may be able to pay for your care, if after a care needs assessment, it is established that your needs are significant. For many care services the local authority may want to review your income when deciding if you need to pay anything for care yourself.

The charging system for residential care is based on national guidance in England. Local authorities have discretion about charging for non-residential care (i.e. care at home). They are not required to charge, but if they do, they must abide by legal guidance.

If your local authority pay for some or all of your care, there are a few ways it can do this. It might provide the care directly to you by using its own staff or via an organisation that it has care arrangements with. But, you have the option to be in control of the money and how it is spent on your care.

If you are not happy with the local authority’s care assessment you can challenge the decision. Contact your local authority to discuss how to do this.

Contact your local authority

You can ask your local authority for help for yourself or someone else.

There are often online forms that you can use to request an assessment:

  • If you would like to speak to someone instead you can contact your local authority by phone to request an assessment.
  • If you are eligible for help an assessment of needs will be carried out with you by your local authority.
  • If your local authority cannot help they will often advise you of other services.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us and we will gladly help with any queries or questions you have with regards to funding or care services.

NHDC logo Herts county council logo logo

Contact us today

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. We will gladly help with any queries or questions you have.